A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.

Just Another Right Wing Extremist
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chicks about to hatch

We've got 30 eggs in the incubator. They came from a friend that keeps hens and cocks from a variety of breeds together. Some of the eggs are brown, some are white, and some are green. The green ones look like the pic.

Here is a link if you want to buy some. I believe the colored egg laying comes from the Araucana breed.


Today is supposed to be the day based on how long they've been in the incubator. For the last two days we've been hearing occasional peeps. Looking through the cloudy window in the top of the incubator last night I saw one egg that looked like it had a chip in it. This morning I found another that looked like it had a similar chip and one that looked like it had a new crack.

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but based on the peeping we'll probably get at least one chick out of this.

We still haven't heard from the hatchery about our Black Australorp chicks. Since I've got a bunch of chicks not quite grown that are still in the chick container it's probably a good thing if they don't ship for another week or two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a mixed breed of chicken at my place. Back in 1999, a friend gave us some English fighting chickens. Then one day, one of my daughters dwarf chickens got out and went "native." Now we have a cross between the two, and they are all different colors. Their eggs are smaller than you get at the store but still good.

Paladin said...

"They came from a friend that keeps hens and cocks from a variety of breeds together. Some of the eggs are brown, some are white, and some are green."

Sounds like the flock at my folk's. The only thing their eggs had in common with each other was that they were GOOD! :) Man, I miss free range eggs.

Bitmap said...

We keep our chickens in a big cage right now so we can get the eggs easier and to protect the birds from predators. We'll have so many in the near future that we may have to rethink that strategy. Maybe we'll keep some caged and let the others run loose.

Followers

Blog Archive

My Blog List

counter