The 14th chick was stuck in it's shell. It had a hole in the shell and everything looked good but I think another chick turned the egg over so the hole was on the bottom. When we noticed we turned the egg back over but hours later the chick was still in the shell. We could hear it peeping and could see it moving so we knew it was alive but it seemed to be in distress.
We decided that we would have to help the chick get out of it's shell. I used a pick to break bits of the shell and split the membrane to get the chick out
Part of the membrane and the tube that connects the chick to the yolk had dried out and were stuck on it
The chick was also very weak and had more trouble walking than the other chicks did when they hatched. We worried that the other chicks would peck this one to death so we kept it in a box by itself for a while. It was apparently lonely because it made more noise than the other 13 combined.
I picked it up and held it in my hands and that made the little critter happy because it fell asleep. I saw a moth flying around a lamp and smacked it down and fed it to the chick. Funny to see a chick that small going after a bug.
We tried putting the next smallest chick in with the little guy but they started pecking each other. Then we tried putting two chicks in with him and that worked until the other chicks found out they could get out of the little box so the little guy (my wife and I called him "Stuck") was alone again.
When he would get lonely and start peeping my wife would say "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" and I would go pick him up and hold him and that would quiet him down. It's hard to do anything when you are holding a chick in your hands.
After a day the stuff from the egg that was stuck on his back and leg finally fell off and we finally put him in with the bigger chicks. He is doing fine now. I can still put my hand in the box next to him and he will get on my hand so I can pick him up. After watching this some of the other chicks will do the same.
The kids call this little guy "Gilligan" because he's my little buddy.
I also have to show the pic of our "Chinese Chick".
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- Quote of the day
- Sotomayor is a member of La Raza
- So the Supreme court nominee is a member of laraza...
- Census Community Survey form
- Personal Disarmament laws don't seemed to have wor...
- Just what we need - more taxes
- The joys of "anti-harassment" training
- Sowell on Sotomayor
- IRS tax revenue falls along with taxpayers' income...
- I have a right to __________________
- China warns Federal Reserve over printing money
- Quote of the day on protecting yourself
- More on the possible new Supreme Court justice
- Now we'll have an internet czar
- Can't show the American flag at work in Texas?
- More on North Korea
- New pick for the supreme court
- New chicken cage/tractor almost finished
- Quote regarding words on the back of women's short...
- The President's Preventative Detention Plan
- North Korean Nuclear Test
- Memorial Day
- According to the President "We are out of money."
- I'm glad I don't live there
- Swine flu still hanging in there
- Fed President says inflation to increase
- With all the talk about nationalizing things, how ...
- Speed Reading the so-called "Climate Bill"? Why b...
- Paid Vacation Act
- I'll bet they got the Stingers through the "gunsho...
- Most of congress seems to have it's act together o...
- The Purpose of the TSA
- I know where the ammo has gone
- New Mileage and Pollution Rules for Vehicles
- Who caused the housing "crisis"?
- A Scam
- Recommended site - The Survivalist Blog
- This is comforting - Pakistan Adding Nukes
- Garden Update
- Once again we see the quality of the VP
- Nothing is ever easy
- The ObamaCard
- Corruption, Lobbying, and government
- My Quote of the Day
- So now someone in the federal government wants to ...
- President's speach at ASU
- Who do you believe?
- Dead people getting stimulus checks
- President says longterm debt unsustainable
- Black Australorp Chicks Arrived
- I think Bison has been reading my blog
- Walter E. Williams
- Quote of the day
- Gear Review: Steiner 10x50 Military/Marine and a ...
- The President wants to close 5000 schools
- Shoe Goo
- May be time to sell that stock in Coke
- The Turkey
- Is the scope on your rifle set up correctly?
- Border Fence
- President seeks to double tax enforcement budget
- Can I just have the "free" insurance, repairs, and...
- The Teleprompter President
- GPS tagging your door
- You need a NOAA alert radio
- Almost 22% of mortgages are "underwater"
- This was just so funny I had to share.
- NY Daily "News" on AR for Sarah Palin
- Red States and Blue States
- The Russians seem to get it. Why don't Americans?...
- DHS pulled back extremism dictionary
- The Party of NO
- More on training
- Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns
- Lack of progress on handloading
- Free Dog Houses
- Free Chicken Tractor
- The 14th chick
- More chicks
- ▼ May (82)