A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.

Just Another Right Wing Extremist
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency

Friday, May 1, 2009

More chicks

13 hatched and 1 breaking out of it's shell. It's been in there a while. Some of the other chicks turned it over so the hole was down and I think the critter was having trouble getting out. We rolled the egg over so the hole was up. The chick has opened the hole up a little more but still hasn't gotten out.

Starting with free range eggs I don't think it's bad to get a hatch rate of almost 50%. I don't know for sure that they were all fertilized and I don't know how long the eggs may have set out before we got them in the incubator. We'll give it another day or two and see what we have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a clutch of 13 or so eggs, we usually have about 4 that never hatch. Of those that do, two or three are weak and will not survive unless essentially raised by hand.

Bullseye said...

Same here. Lucky to get 30% raised to adulthood. I do best by keeping them in a cage and raising them that way, usually have them all to live that way. It's a little more work but worth it.

Bullseye
Code Name "Bullseye"

Followers

Blog Archive

My Blog List

counter