A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
New chicken cage/tractor almost finished
My better half said she wanted to learn to use some tools so I let her do most of the work on this. It's pretty simple and not terribly expensive. Some PT 2x6s and 2x4s, a couple of 16' cattle panels and it's about done. She built a doorframe from 2x4x and used the little triangles of wood at the bottom center of the pic to brace the corners of the door. Some hinges and a bolt completed that. I used 48" wide 2"x4" welded wire to make the front and back and regular chicken wire over the top. She also made corner braces from some scraps I had so it will hold it's shape better when we move it.
I'm going to cut a square hole in the front so we can put one of the free dog houses I got off craigslist up against it to make a nest box and shelter from bad weather. The dog house will have a door in the back to get the eggs out and I'll put a hinged door above the opening so I can move the dog house separately from the chicken cage. I'm going to add a roost pole to it as well.
When that is done I've got some wheels off an old tricycle I'm going to mount on it so it will be easier to move around and make it like a giant chicken tractor.
I found this idea on a DIY forum. The original idea was for a greenhouse. The original had a base made from 4x4s, which made it easier to build a regular doorframe. The advantage of the 2x6s is that I didn't have to use big bolts to hold it together. Large fence staples hold the cattle panels in the base. The corner braces go over the ends of the panels and help hold them in.
If you have the materials on hand and you can work without interruption you could easily finish one of these in less than a day.
- ► 2010 (204)
- Quote of the day
- Sotomayor is a member of La Raza
- So the Supreme court nominee is a member of laraza...
- Census Community Survey form
- Personal Disarmament laws don't seemed to have wor...
- Just what we need - more taxes
- The joys of "anti-harassment" training
- Sowell on Sotomayor
- IRS tax revenue falls along with taxpayers' income...
- I have a right to __________________
- China warns Federal Reserve over printing money
- Quote of the day on protecting yourself
- More on the possible new Supreme Court justice
- Now we'll have an internet czar
- Can't show the American flag at work in Texas?
- More on North Korea
- New pick for the supreme court
- New chicken cage/tractor almost finished
- Quote regarding words on the back of women's short...
- The President's Preventative Detention Plan
- North Korean Nuclear Test
- Memorial Day
- According to the President "We are out of money."
- I'm glad I don't live there
- Swine flu still hanging in there
- Fed President says inflation to increase
- With all the talk about nationalizing things, how ...
- Speed Reading the so-called "Climate Bill"? Why b...
- Paid Vacation Act
- I'll bet they got the Stingers through the "gunsho...
- Most of congress seems to have it's act together o...
- The Purpose of the TSA
- I know where the ammo has gone
- New Mileage and Pollution Rules for Vehicles
- Who caused the housing "crisis"?
- A Scam
- Recommended site - The Survivalist Blog
- This is comforting - Pakistan Adding Nukes
- Garden Update
- Once again we see the quality of the VP
- Nothing is ever easy
- The ObamaCard
- Corruption, Lobbying, and government
- My Quote of the Day
- So now someone in the federal government wants to ...
- President's speach at ASU
- Who do you believe?
- Dead people getting stimulus checks
- President says longterm debt unsustainable
- Black Australorp Chicks Arrived
- I think Bison has been reading my blog
- Walter E. Williams
- Quote of the day
- Gear Review: Steiner 10x50 Military/Marine and a ...
- The President wants to close 5000 schools
- Shoe Goo
- May be time to sell that stock in Coke
- The Turkey
- Is the scope on your rifle set up correctly?
- Border Fence
- President seeks to double tax enforcement budget
- Can I just have the "free" insurance, repairs, and...
- The Teleprompter President
- GPS tagging your door
- You need a NOAA alert radio
- Almost 22% of mortgages are "underwater"
- This was just so funny I had to share.
- NY Daily "News" on AR for Sarah Palin
- Red States and Blue States
- The Russians seem to get it. Why don't Americans?...
- DHS pulled back extremism dictionary
- The Party of NO
- More on training
- Rifles, Shotguns, and Handguns
- Lack of progress on handloading
- Free Dog Houses
- Free Chicken Tractor
- The 14th chick
- More chicks
- ▼ May (82)