I was sitting next to a big elm tree with some brush and camo cloth strung around me to make blind. It was a warm afternoon and I had my light coveralls open at the neck and I was sitting to the east and a little south of the big tree so I could stay in the shadows. My rifle was across my lap with the muzzle pointing towards the tree and about three feet from it. I had plenty of room to move around in case I needed to turn and shoot in any direction.
I had been sitting for a while waiting for a deer or turkey or pig to come along when I noticed a squirrel about 50 yards away playing in the grass. This wasn't one of the cute little things you see in city parks. This was what I call a fox squirrel. A good sized one. It was about the size of a house cat. This was an "I don't mess with native pecans or acorns because I can pick up a bois d-arc apple in my mouth and bound away with it" sized squirrel.
It was working it's way towards me on sort of a random path. It was still early enough in the year that the squirrel hadn't gotten serious about packing calories away for winter so it was mostly must playing. 30 yards, 20 yards, 10 yards. The it was 10 feet from the tree I was sitting next to.
I was enjoying the show. I also figured that if any game came within sight they would see the squirrel playing and hopefully not notice me.
Then the squirrel starts climbing the tree I'm sitting next to. It was a big tree. At the base the trunk was big enough that two men could barely reach around it and touch fingers on either side.
Then I see the squirrel at just about eye level on the side of the tree. It's looking at me, then the muzzle of my rifle and flicked it's tail.
I knew what it was thinking. I thought it would be a great story to tell about the time I sat so still that the squirrel climbed a tree and then jumped on the muzzle of my rifle barrel.
Then I thought "What is wrong with me? If that critter jumps onto my rifle he may end up inside my coveralls." I really didn't want to be on the news that evening and decided I had to do something quick. I turned my head a little to face directly at the threat and I exhaled loudly.
He raised his head and looked me over from head to toe, probably trying to figure out why that tree stump was blowing at him and why it smelled like peanut butter and jelly. Then it decided that it had business to attend to up in the top of the tree and left me in peace.
I didnt' bring home a deer or turkey or pig that day but I still had fun.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- Housing Market
- Thomas Sowell on socialized medicine
- Why I use scopes when I'm serious
- Unions to be exempt from health care taxes
- US shows the N. Koreans how missiles are supposed ...
- Hussein's Birth Certificate on Ebay
- Buy a new hot tub while you still can
- Just Say NO to Cap and Trade
- The government caused the mortgage crisis and now ...
- If the President's wife wants to have an impact . ...
- Elite left-wing President wants better health care...
- European Central Bank lends more money
- State Shutdowns Loom
- Status Quo "unsustainable"
- A few good Reagan quotes
- Ford, Nissan to get government loans
- If you see someone with a firearm, call the police...
- Don't Flush U.S.
- There are countries where a single-payer system wo...
- Are you a low level terrorist?
- Good Advice
- Misc pics
- Garden pics
- We've got pears and figs and berries, too
- We've got plums
- One of nature's bug killers
- Pictures from the farm
- I'm 53, registered democrat, blah, blah, blah
- Quote of the day
- Men only train cars in Tokyo
- In response to the Hermit
- More people raising chickens is a good sign
- AG wants a new "hate crimes" law
- The UN and homeschooling
- Update on stuff around the house
- More Power to the Federal Reserve
- The President is worried about the debt?
- First Swine Flu Fatality in FL
- Advice from Dad
- So N. Korean missiles could be upgraded to reach t...
- ABC turns programming over to the White House
- The Economy is doing GREAT!
- "Public Option" will be the Standard
- The Cost of Presidential Travel
- The US likely to lose it's AAA rating
- Letterman vs. the President
- Pictures of some of my dad's woodworking.
- Cake Pictures
- Homemade target stands
- The latest intended government atrocity - attackin...
- So the President wants even more control over bank...
- Quote of the day
- Any Tax is a Good Tax
- Palin vs. Letterman
- Why don't we just ban smoking?
- Ongoing saga of our "Master"
- Quote of the day
- Personal disarmament by banning knives isn't just ...
- Black Widow on the side of my house
- Boniface was asking about poison ivy
- Another Job for our Master
- Some nonsense from the White House Press Secretary...
- 10 Things You Must Do
- 600,000 "Stimulus Jobs"
- M340 video
- Oh the poor little rapists and robbers may have to...
- Close encounter with a squirrel
- Quote from DAL357
- US Dollar "Seriously Overvalued"
- The VP says some "stimulus" money will be wasted
- More socialization at school - kids these days
- Algore going to N. Korea to help jounalists?
- Palin says the government wants to control the peo...
- Michelle Obama swaps out HER chief of staff at the...
- White House set to appoint "pay czar"
- This must be the "socialization" I hear so much ab...
- Quote from Bison
- Yes We Can
- A Father's Nightmare on MArooned
- Dallas PD videotaping people in Lower Greenville A...
- Political Punch on hussein's roots
- I've been slow getting to the story of the muslim ...
- Steve Sailer's blog
- Heaven and Hell
- Why do fiction writers mess up anything to do with...
- The President's Night Out
- ▼ June (87)