Oh no, not again. Another firearm incident in a restroom.
Hopefully this woman will recover and not have permanent problems.
Usually these incidents involve someone taking their handgun out and setting it on the toilet and then walking out and forgetting it. According to this story the handgun fell out of her waist holster.
My IWB holsters all hold my handguns securely. They are all Kydex and do not have thumb breaks but do have tension adjustment screws. I can turn the holster upside down with a loaded handgun inside and shake it vigorously without losing the handgun. If your handgun falls out of your holster when you hold the holster upside down then you need to reconsider how you carry.
When you are using the restroom you have to be extra careful if you carry with a belt holster because you are unhooking the belt which allows the weight of the handgun and spare ammo to sag. If you aren't careful then the best case is that the handgun will sag to the floor and possibly be visible to others. Not really any hard done but you don't want to alarm the sheep which can get you professional attention from LEOs. If I have to sit in a public restroom I rehook my belt after I get my pants down and keep the belt up just above my knees so the handgun won't sag so far down.
If a handgun is in good condition it should not discharge from being dropped from the height of a toilet seat. If a handgun is in good condition and secure in the holster it should be less likely to discharge from being dropped. By good condition I mean that everything works. If you have a 1911 without a firing pin blocker then you need to make sure that your firing pin return spring is fresh and don't carry it in condition 2 or 2 1/2. Carry it in condition 1. Condition 3 will almost ensure that it won't discharge if you drop it but then you have a "handsgun" instead of a "handgun" and you may not have both hands available.
One kind of belt holster that is not very secure is a belt slide. When your belt is worn normally I think they are fairly secure but when you loosen your belt the grip on the handgun may get a little looser as well.
Unfortunately there aren't many details included in this story so I will just have to speculate. I'm betting that this woman either had her handgun in a belt slide which is not very secure when you loosen the belt or she took her handgun out of the holster and fumbled it. She may have actually dropped it and had a mechanical failure that resulted in a discharge or she may have just been playing around. Most unintentional discharges are the result of someone fondling their weapon and not paying attention. Obviously a public restroom is not a good place to be playing with a firearm. This unintentional discharge was also negligent which is probably this is bad news for the woman responsible. All unintentional discharges are not negligent. If you have good muzzle discipline and you have an unintentional discharge then nobody will be injured and property damage will be minimal. Firing your weapon and hitting someone in the leg is a sign you weren't paying attention.
This kind of thing is fodder for those who would like to restrict our ability to protect ourselves. Carrying a handgun is an awesome responsibility. When you carry be sure to pay attention to what you are doing.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- A Little Hypocrisy in Dekalb County, GA
- Evacuation in Bryant, TX
- Woman sells her TVs to avoid seeing the President
- Capital Trapped in a House
- Presidential Library
- Quote of the day
- Military planning for H1N1 outbreak
- Is this the face of a moslem terrorist?
- Foreign Laws to Impact American Gun Owners?
- Quote of the day
- Taxing Fat People's Food to Pay for Health Care
- The Chinese aren't that confident about the curren...
- The "bright" side of a higher minimum wage
- The President to rent The Blue Heron Farm for vaca...
- Someone besides me is worried about this nation's ...
- New Stands for the Rabbit Cages
- Grandma's Birthday Cake
- Now we know why the President doesn't like the Cam...
- Bailout money being given to laraza
- Read some of the socialized medicine bill
- Minimum Wage Insanity
- This must be some of that diversity I keep hearing...
- So I enjoy Burt Prelutsky, too
- Thomas Sowell on socialized medicine again
- The Eye of the Storm
- Commercial Real Estate Bailout - OUCH
- Efficient Government
- Ann Coulter hit's another one out of the park on s...
- "Stopping Power"
- So the President says that the police acted stupid...
- Quote of the day
- Illegals to receive care under socialized medicine...
- A guy at the store wearing a U.S. Army Retired cap...
- Additional comment about Paris, TX
- Another great pick for this Administration: Surge...
- So the Obama administration "rescued the economy"!...
- Black and White Protestors almost get in Big troub...
- Went to a "pick your own" blueberry farm today
- A Richer LIfe
- Socialized Medicine Surcharge for fooling around w...
- Mexican law enforcement protecting us from terrori...
- Get out of war free
- Heating up on the President's Eligibility
- Socialized medicine to pay for abortions?
- Congress to dictate the fuel your car uses - Why n...
- Come home safe
- Another chicken cage
- Making Fire with a Magnifying Glass
- Cucumbers FTW!!
- More on the so-called healthcare reform bill
- Quote of the Day on Socialized Medicine
- No Private Coverage under the hussien-care version...
- Colorado!! What's the matter with you!?
- Another case of your goverment wasting your money ...
- Need a job? Push socialized medicine
- A Friend's Son in Afghanistan
- Rental Options and Mortgage Bailouts
- More on Socialized Medicine
- The Soldier's Orders were Changed
- North Dakota could have a new oil field
- I hope that Iraq War vet finds them first
- A soldier that doesn't want to go to war
- Just say NO to Sotomayor
- Father dies saving son
- The poor TOTUS
- Quantitative Easing
- Be Careful in the Restroom
- Quote of the Day from Bison
- I'll bet his wife kicks his rump over this one
- China and the U.S. as trade partner for Latin Amer...
- US down while China is up in Fortune company ratin...
- Aid going to areas that supported hussein?
- The White House spells the President's name wrong
- Doesn't every woman carry a $5950 purse?
- The President's Beautiful Wife
- As if we didn't already have enough idiots in gove...
- Do you have money in a Swiss account?
- Suspected NK cyber attack on US government website...
- If you don't like the results of throwing gasoline...
- I keep hearing that the President is so smart
- Anyone else notice how much Al Gore looks like E.P...
- Taliban says it's captured a US soldier
- Greg Hamilton quip about handguns, shotguns and ri...
- Presidential Action Figure
- No U.S. Dollars
- Dinner Last Night
- Independence Day Update
- Here is a couple that will never legally own firea...
- Washington Post Sells Access
- Members of congress spending more of YOUR money on...
- And you thought the 4473 wasn't a registration for...
- Being Taxed by the Mile
- Firearms in Church
- The Fight for Knives goes on
- ▼ July (95)