I saw a bit on The Survivalist Blog about "Stopping Power" and I just had to put my 2 cents in on that topic.
I don't believe Evan Marshall's book is very good. I don't believe that a .357 magnum HANDGUN is as effective as a .308 RIFLE. I think all the numbers are grossly inflated in that study. I won't even attack his definition of a "one shot stop". I'll go for some other targets.
First, these are civilian shootings as opposed to military shootings. When a soldier is hit the best thing he can do to keep from being hit again is to move faster. If he falls down where he is he will probably be shot again, unless the enemy lets him lie there in hopes that his buddies will come out to rescue him and create more targets. When a creep is shot by the police or a private citizen the best thing he can do to avoid being shot again is to fall down. That is a big difference in motivation. The creeps in the shootings in the Marshall book have a good reason to fall down even when they aren't wounded that badly, while men and women in military uniforms have a strong motivation to keep going and complete their mission or save their comrade or get behind cover.
If you are interested in fighting and shooting and people that didn't fall down despite severe wounds then go read some Medal of Honor Citations. Men with arms and legs blown completely off that continued to fight. Men hit in the head with .308 class rifles that continued to function. Men that fell on grenades and after the grenade exploded they got up and continued to give aid to a wounded comrade.
You think a head shot will stop someone every time? Check out Saburo Sakai. The Martin Caidin book "Zero!" gives more details of the fight and his flight home. In that account he describes putting his fingers all the way into his head and not being able to reach the slug. He flew his damaged plane over the ocean for hours, found his base, and landed with a .30-06 slug in his head. If you look around you'll find other accounts of men shot in the head and through the brain that didn't stop.
Another thing from my own experience. I know that deer aren't the same thing as men, but is a deer that runs 150lbs on the hoof that much tougher than a man? I've shot or personally witnessed the shooting of 30 or more deer. All but one were shot with rifles and most of those were .308, .30-06, .270 or something similar. Almost all were good chest shots. About 1/3 fell instantly dead. About 1/3 flinched at the shot or did nothing and then stood or walked for up to 10 seconds. About 1/3 ran and covered at least 50 yards with some of them going a little over 100 yards. One in particular I shot broadside through both lungs with a .30-06 150gr. JSP from a range of about 7 yards and he covered 100 yards or a little more. I lost a lot of faith in rifles that day.
I think we can all agree that a round that puts a wider and deeper hole in things will be more effective than one that makes a narrower or shallower hole. Quantifying that is much more difficult than making the general statement.
I think men and women are far tougher than that study would indicate if they have the right motivation or they are on drugs. The highly motivated and/or drugged up individuals don't make it into that study because they usually have to be shot a lot of times even with a rifle before they stop being dangerous.
I think putting faith in that study (or others like it) can get you in trouble. You read in there that XYZ round makes 95%+ "one shot stops" so you load that round in your carry gun and start thinking you are carrying the Hammer of Thor. The problem is that when reality insists and the bad guy doesn't fall down after your first shot you are left wondering "what happened?" while the fight goes on.
Far better to plan that whatever you do won't work and always have a plan for what to do next. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you aren't pleasantly surprised at least you won't be unpleasantly surprised.
Don't put too much faith in a rifle stopping a bad guy with one hit and don't put any faith in a handgun doing it.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- A Little Hypocrisy in Dekalb County, GA
- Evacuation in Bryant, TX
- Woman sells her TVs to avoid seeing the President
- Capital Trapped in a House
- Presidential Library
- Quote of the day
- Military planning for H1N1 outbreak
- Is this the face of a moslem terrorist?
- Foreign Laws to Impact American Gun Owners?
- Quote of the day
- Taxing Fat People's Food to Pay for Health Care
- The Chinese aren't that confident about the curren...
- The "bright" side of a higher minimum wage
- The President to rent The Blue Heron Farm for vaca...
- Someone besides me is worried about this nation's ...
- New Stands for the Rabbit Cages
- Grandma's Birthday Cake
- Now we know why the President doesn't like the Cam...
- Bailout money being given to laraza
- Read some of the socialized medicine bill
- Minimum Wage Insanity
- This must be some of that diversity I keep hearing...
- So I enjoy Burt Prelutsky, too
- Thomas Sowell on socialized medicine again
- The Eye of the Storm
- Commercial Real Estate Bailout - OUCH
- Efficient Government
- Ann Coulter hit's another one out of the park on s...
- "Stopping Power"
- So the President says that the police acted stupid...
- Quote of the day
- Illegals to receive care under socialized medicine...
- A guy at the store wearing a U.S. Army Retired cap...
- Additional comment about Paris, TX
- Another great pick for this Administration: Surge...
- So the Obama administration "rescued the economy"!...
- Black and White Protestors almost get in Big troub...
- Went to a "pick your own" blueberry farm today
- A Richer LIfe
- Socialized Medicine Surcharge for fooling around w...
- Mexican law enforcement protecting us from terrori...
- Get out of war free
- Heating up on the President's Eligibility
- Socialized medicine to pay for abortions?
- Congress to dictate the fuel your car uses - Why n...
- Come home safe
- Another chicken cage
- Making Fire with a Magnifying Glass
- Cucumbers FTW!!
- More on the so-called healthcare reform bill
- Quote of the Day on Socialized Medicine
- No Private Coverage under the hussien-care version...
- Colorado!! What's the matter with you!?
- Another case of your goverment wasting your money ...
- Need a job? Push socialized medicine
- A Friend's Son in Afghanistan
- Rental Options and Mortgage Bailouts
- More on Socialized Medicine
- The Soldier's Orders were Changed
- North Dakota could have a new oil field
- I hope that Iraq War vet finds them first
- A soldier that doesn't want to go to war
- Just say NO to Sotomayor
- Father dies saving son
- The poor TOTUS
- Quantitative Easing
- Be Careful in the Restroom
- Quote of the Day from Bison
- I'll bet his wife kicks his rump over this one
- China and the U.S. as trade partner for Latin Amer...
- US down while China is up in Fortune company ratin...
- Aid going to areas that supported hussein?
- The White House spells the President's name wrong
- Doesn't every woman carry a $5950 purse?
- The President's Beautiful Wife
- As if we didn't already have enough idiots in gove...
- Do you have money in a Swiss account?
- Suspected NK cyber attack on US government website...
- If you don't like the results of throwing gasoline...
- I keep hearing that the President is so smart
- Anyone else notice how much Al Gore looks like E.P...
- Taliban says it's captured a US soldier
- Greg Hamilton quip about handguns, shotguns and ri...
- Presidential Action Figure
- No U.S. Dollars
- Dinner Last Night
- Independence Day Update
- Here is a couple that will never legally own firea...
- Washington Post Sells Access
- Members of congress spending more of YOUR money on...
- And you thought the 4473 wasn't a registration for...
- Being Taxed by the Mile
- Firearms in Church
- The Fight for Knives goes on
- ▼ July (95)