We broke out the BB guns and went hunting for grasshoppers and other big bugs to feed the to the chickens. It might not sound like much excitement for an 8yo and 9yo that have deer heads on the wall and turkey feathers in their caps, but they enjoyed it a lot. It was also good training for muzzle control without being too risky.
I remember as a kid I would go out in my grandparents garden, or down the lane, or almost anywhere at the other grandparent's farm and hunt grasshoppers for hours. I would load the 700 shot magazine to the top and then carry several of the little cardboard tubes of BBs in my pockets so I wouldn't have to go back to the house so often.
I still have my old Red Ryder. It has a metal lever and trigger unlike the plastic parts on todays models. It also didn't have the silly crossbolt safety that the new ones do. It loaded under the muzzle instead of on the side like they do now. The new location of the loading port makes it easier to keep your hands out from in front of the muzzle but the new loading doors are easier to accidently brush open causing you to spill your ammo.
If the boys prove themselves to be safe enough to go on their own I might start providing the ammo and let them help feed the chickens full time when the weather is warm.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- Ergo Rail - You need it and it's easy to install
- No STD's listed in the Electronic Health Record
- Main production hens molting at our place
- Let's just spend our way out of an economic crisis...
- London Fashion: What is wrong with these people!?...
- So the President is "suntanned"
- "Idiot of the Day" Awards
- Have you ever driven a diesel locamotive?
- I've been away for a week . . .
- The kind of 9/11 memorial we need
- Camped out with the kids last weekend
- Pics of the Hi-Cap Chicken Feeder
- Hi-cap Chicken Feeder
- Easy Fill Chicken Waterer Update and Improvement
- One Racist Out - The Rest of the Administration to...
- Teen unemployement over 25% - highest on record
- You think our President's wife is a wacko?
- Now it's Maine's Turn
- No Death Panels in socialist countries, huh?
- My New Shirt
- UN seed vault
- Someone in MA is afraid of the swine flu . . .
- Helping my grandpa keep bugs out of his garden
- I took the two oldest boys out for a grasshopper s...
- ▼ September (25)